Hey friends! I am so excited to share our porch makeover today. For years, we had this strange paint palette and dated metal scroll work going on. Not to mention the boring white front door. Finally, last year we had the house painted, which was a huge, improvement. A whole year went by and last weekend Jesse and I cranked out a few more updates.
Here’s what the house looked like before we had it painted last summer.
Here’s how the font porch looks today. Boom! The difference is blowin’ my mind! When I pull up in front of the house I’m like, “Oh, what a cute little front porch. Wait. That’s our front porch!” Aside from having the house painted last year, we did this whole makeover in about two days and AND spent just over $200! I mean, sure, updating a ranch home can be a snap if you have an architect and a big budget, but two hundred bucks? I think we did pretty good here.
First, I set to work painting the front screen door. We thought about taking the door off completely, but going bare just wasn’t right for us. We like having the option to leave the door open and catch a breeze. We also thought about replacing it, which we will down the road, but I’m guessing that will cost a couple hundred bucks. More if it’s a custom size. So, I picked up a can of black semi-gloss Rustoleum and got to work. I prepped the door by removing the screens and giving it a good cleaning. The girls were very confused about the missing door screens.
The front door was a hunter green that I didn’t care for, so used the same can of Rustoleum to paint that black as well. I also replaced the screen door hardware. It’s not the fanciest, but it looks better and was simple to install, I even managed to do it without Jesse’s help. I just followed the enclosed instructions and luckily the parts all lined up with the existing holes. The only tools I needed were a screwdriver, measuring tape and bolt cutters.
I wanted to replace the bistro set with a bench so I decided to use this vintage glider we had on our back deck. Isn’t that orange lovely? I went through a “Tangerine Tango” phase. I used the same can of black semi-gloss Rustoleum to paint the glider, too. One can goes a long way, folks!
We also added a couple hanging ferns I found on clearance at Lowe’s. I ditched the plastic store hangers and used this simple technique to fashion new hangers from rope.
My favorite improvement, though are the boxes Jesse built around the dated metal scroll work. The new pseudo columns were inexpensive (about $60 worth of plywood) and just completely freshen the look of our house.
I got up early on Sunday to prime and paint the columns. The bugs were terrible all weekend, so I set up a defense barrier with citronella candles and spray. Those dang mosquitoes love me though, and my legs are all chewed up and itchy today. Womp womp.
Budget Breakdown and Resources:
Wood Boxes – Plywood, glue, paint, $70
Door and Glider Paint – Rustoleum Semi Gloss, Black, $10
Plants – $30
Welcome Mat – Target, $20
Planters – Home Goods, $60
Paint Brushes, hardware, miscellaneous – $20
Toss Pillows – already owned, made covers using a shower curtain from Target, $15
Gilder – already owned (free from my Mother in Law a few years ago!)